Thursday, January 22, 2015

Led Zeppelin: 1975-01-22 Chicago, IL (DVD-A_AUD 1st Gen_LPCM 48/24)

Today is the the day of the final night in Chicago and Led Zeppelin's third night as they were in their opening shows in America in 1975.  This show was 40 years ago today and I'm uploading the 48 kHz/24 bit DVD-A of it.

This DVD-A has photos of the show for the slideshow as the music plays.  It's another excellent sounding show and night too.

LINEAGE:
1st Gen cassettes > WAV (96/24) > WAV (48/24) > DVD (DVD-A authored using TMPGenc DVD Author) > me > TLH (to create a new md5 file) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: January 22nd, 1975
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Venue: Chicago Stadium
Source: AUD (1st Gen)
Format: DVD-A
DVD's: 1
Artwork: Yes
Label: None
Title: Windy City Tapes Vol. III
Length: 2:02:27

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
Menus: No
Chapters: Yes
Size: 3.34 GB

VIDEO:
Format: NTSC
Resolution: 704 x 480
Aspect: 4:3
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bitrate: 1510 kbps
Codec: MPEG-2

AUDIO:
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Bitrate: 2304 kbps (24 Bit)
Codec: LPCM
Channels: 2
Streams: 1

SETLIST/CHAPTERS:
01. Rock And Roll
02. Sick Again
03. Over The Hills And Far Away
04. In My Time Of Dying
05. The Song Remains The Same
06. The Rain Song
07. Kashmir
08. The Wanton Song
09. No Quarter
10. Trampled Underfoot
11. Moby Dick
12. How Many More Times
13. Stairway To Heaven
14. Whole Lotta Love
15. Black Dog

LINKS:
(1) 1975-01-22 Chicago, IL (AUD 1st Gen/DVD-A)
(2) 1975-01-22 Chicago, IL (AUD 1st Gen/DVD-A)
(3) 1975-01-22 Chicago, IL (AUD 1st Gen/DVD-A)

The photos from the show are reportedly believed to be from this date, but if any are not from the 1/22 concert, they are from the 1/21 concert the night before.

ORIGINAL NOTES (copy & paste):
"This is a standard dvd-video with a slide show and audio for playback compatibility on standard dvd players through a home theater system for maximum audio enjoyment.  All photos used are known to be from Chicago, either 1/21 or 1/22/1975, but are believed to be from the 22nd. Since the sequence of the original photos was not preserved, identification of the songs being played for each slide was done through instrumentation and lighting (all best guess). Project completed in September 2008.

Notes:
Good to Very Good audience recording. Almost complete missing about 10 minutes give or take of Moby Dick. These cassettes were located by Jonohull through a friend of his who went to all 3 Zeppelin shows in 1975 with the taper of this recording. His friend Kevin was gracious enough to lend the cassettes out to Jonohull who in return passed them along to me for repair and transfering. This is the first time this recording has ever been in circulation and the first time it has been heard by anyone including Kevin in a great many years. 

Jonohull's Notes:
One of my friends introduced me to Kevin because he knew he was at some Zeppelin shows, so I helped him get those recordings. Later he told me he had 2 Chicago shows on tape that he was at, and he was next to the taper when it happened. He had copied the master tapes the next day and these are the tapes this show is from. At this point I got excited, and the process started from there!

Kevin's Notes:
What do I remember about the chicago concerts? It was quite a while ago and there was  a lot of effort in driving to chicago in freezing weather and then dealing with the large crowd. What I remember is that we didn't have the same seats on any of the nights and we were never very close to the stage, always in the upper balconies somewhere. It was very Magic though. I was a complete zeppelin fan. They were very special to me. I had some live recordings from earlier tours but Physical Graffiti was not out yet and new things undreamed of were emanating from that small stage down there! Almost all of my attention was riveted on Jimmy Page who was just a small figure way down there from where I was sitting. But what was coming out of him was simply unbelievable. I do remember one night we were a little closer, somewhere in the middle of the ground floor. I remember hearing Kashmir for the first time ( I hadn't understood the title when Plant announced the new song). As I said, sheer magic. No other music affected me like this. I guess this is all very subjective, and most people back home thought I was out of my tree, but now, look at all the people who are interested!! No one in my environment would have believed it then. I do remember that Plant's voice was substandard, apparently he had been suffering from the flu after hitting the freezing temperatures of Minneapolis coming straight from the much milder winter in England. That was especially true the first night. I wish I could remember more, but all of  the Led Zeppelin concerts I saw (9 altogether) had me in a state of transformed excitement ( intoxication) which I can't explain and was totally different from any other concerts I saw ( for example the Who and Pink Floyd- to name two  of the best). And, no, I was never using drugs or alcohol when I went to these concerts. Sorry if this has run on too long, but that is as accurate as I can be. That opening riff from Kashmir, which I'd never heard yet and was thus totally unexpected, is my most poignant memory. You see, the music was so overwhelming and had such a transforming effect that I was just stunned and came out of there in a state of total disorientation. I guess that's about the highest compliment you could pay to an artistic event.    I don't remember much about getting the equipment in because I wasn't paying any attention. I didn't want any distraction from the experience. All I remember is that he had a small tape recorder, and it was January with heavy winter jackets you know. I do remember that a security guard detected it while frisking him trying to enter one of the shows. He left and just came back again, this time not being detected. Very persistent fellow.

Credits:
The taper for recording the show in first place.
Kevin for lending the tapes out for repair and transfer.
Jonohull for locating the tapes in the first place. Without his leg work this release never sees the light of day.
Bozone Baby for his excellent artwork and covers,and for sorting and formatting the photos for the slides.
Weedwacker for tape restorations, tape transfers and outstanding DVD authoring.
Led Zeppelin for all the obvious reasons.
"

So that is from the original text file and describes those involved in making this project available for us to be enjoying it and listening to it today, forty years after it was recorded.  A special thanks goes to all of these guys and especially to "weedwacker", a well known Zeppelin audio mastering expert in our sharing circle, for his work and final work on this specific show.  And of course a special thanks in my mind to him ("weedwacker") for his audio expertise and many shares of superb quality and best generation copies of the vast number of shows he has been putting out for a number of years now.

Enjoy the show...

Bootradr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL & MERCHANDISE TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment