Friday, August 21, 2015

Led Zeppelin: 1970-08-21 Tulsa, OK (FLAC_AUD Master_2 CD)

This really is a much better sounding show than I gave it credit for the first time I heard it in the 1990's.  And on its 45th anniversary today, I'm uploading it for you to hear.  This specific copy from the master tapes is a better sounding copy than I first heard too!

This show is great-to-excellent sounding in my ratings.  At least this copy is.  My first copy on disc was the Turn The Lights Off or The Lights Go Down copy which is in reference to what Robert Plant says just after "Heartbreaker" gets started.  He stops mid song and reprimands the audience for being too rowdy.  He has the lighting people turn the lights on and tells the people to calm down.  No telling what he saw, but I imagine people were crushing each other up front.  In fact, in the beginning of the recording you hear the rowdy attitude in the crowd when a girl yells at someone "No! Shut up" or something similar.

LINEAGE:
Master > DAT > CD-R > WAV > Multi Frontend v0.983 Beta > FLAC 6 >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: August 21st, 1970
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Venue: Civic Center

Title: Tulsa, Oklahoma August 21, 1970

Label: ton185
Source: AUD (Master)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes
Size: 762 MB
Length: 125:18:42

SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. band introduction

102. Immigrant Song
103. Heartbreaker
104. Dazed And Confused
105. Bring It On Home
106. That's The Way
107. Bron-Yr-Aur
108. Since I've Been Loving You

CD 2:
201. JPJ organ solo
202. Thank You
203. What Is And What Should Never Be
204. Whole Lotta Love
205. Communication Breakdown

LIN K:
(1) 1970-08-21 Tulsa, OK (AUD Master/ton185)

This recording is really a lot more spectacular than I was expecting as I started listening to it yesterday.  I was still expecting the TDOLZ or whatever label version sound I first heard years ago.  I've honestly barely listened to that show because the sound just wasn't that good in my opinion.  This master transfer shared by "ton185" is a huge improvement and it doesn't have the label EQ work and similar audio changing effects in it.  It's the clean, unaltered master tapes and they sound great!

There is another first generation copy I had considered uploading shared by "KRW_CO" because it sounds great too.  But this copy seems to have brighter high frequencies and the instruments and vocals can all easily be heard very clear, clean, and well.

Robert Plant's voice is in awesome form on this night too.  The high notes he throws in as he ad-libs in songs, ones that aren't expected, are fantastic.  Jimmy Page's guitar is spot on and can be heard up front in the heavier songs as well as the quieter ones.  And there is a clean and level sounding bass, organ, and drums from John Paul Jones and John Bonham and it make this recording sound as great as it does.

I'm not saying the recording is perfect.  There are some flaws in a few places.  I just heard some tape noise, the kind you hear when a tape has errors or head problems.  But it is short lived and I imagine the tape had a crinkle in it at the spot where that occurred?

I'm up to "Bring It On Home" right now and I am loving what I have heard so far.  The tape is mono of course but it has a decent range of sound making it much more full and live sounding than many audience recordings (or even soundboards) from this time period.  There are a few short cuts (real short) and you can hear the microphone being bumped and moved around at times too.  But these are short sound issues that don't last.  There is very little tape hiss heard in the show too and when you do hear it the hiss is in the quieter moments like "Bron-YrAur".  There is also a short, weird digital noise at the very beginning of each CD.  It has something to do with the CD burning in the lineage or the DAT transfer I believe.  I've heard the same thing before when I've transferred audio or have had burners or programs that created a very similar digital noise.  But again, it's nothing to worry about and it doesn't interfere with any music or even talking.

This recording is no 1969-04-24 Fillmore West in the sound quality.  But it is very nice and in my own personal ratings (biased of course) it is excellent-to-superb sounding.  I'll have to upload one of the lesser copies at some point so you can compare and see why it has taken me so long to actually listen to the show again.

The crowd is not as present in the recording as you might expect.  The taper and people around him are seldom if at all heard in the recording.   The crowd may not have been as rowdy as I first recalled.  Maybe Robert Plant's early chastising of them got them to shape up?  I don't know.  You can hear some light conversation during "Moby Dick" but otherwise, except between songs primarily, they sound like a great crowd and you don't hear them while the music is playing.

There is just a tiny bit of audio clipping on a few tracks but definitely nothing worth worrying about or anything you'd even be able to tell unless you looked at the waveform.  Actually, the more I look at the waveform it really looks like this may be a stereo recording.  I doubt it but it is hard to tell right now as I am listening.

I hope you enjoy the show...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



2 comments:

  1. It is an enjoyable show just as you desccribed. Thanks for the upload. Also, based on your remarks I went and found the April 24, 1969 Fillmore West show and downloaded it and what an incredible show that is. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is an incredible show (the 4/24/69 one) isn't it :-) I'm sorry if I sometimes fall behind in seeing replies but I'm attempting to change that and keep up better.

    ReplyDelete