Sunday, August 9, 2015

Foreigner: 1978-12-01 Philadelphia, PA (FLAC_SB/FM BX_1 CD)

This is an excellent sounding older Foreigner show from 1978 that was an FM broadcasted concert.  I'm uploading it by request for some 1970's Foreigner.  And I'm glad that request came in because I never really had listened to much of the more classic rock sounding Foreigner.  I was use to the common 1970's and 1980's songs played on the radio all of the time of course.  I've had Foreigner 4 on CD since the 1980's with a lot of the older tracks on them.  But songs like "I Need You" I had not heard before and this is a different sounding Foreigner to me that I like better honestly.

LINEAGE:
FM BX > unknown > CD-R > WAV > FLAC >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness and align sectors on boundaries) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to double check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Foreigner
Date: December 1st, 1978
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Venue: The Spectrum

Title: None

Label: None
Source: SB/FM BX
Format: FLAC
CD's: 1 (possibly 2...read below)
Artwork: Yes (very basic PDF art found online and included in download)
Size: 372 MB
Length: 79:30:32

SETLIST:

01. Long, Long Way From Home
02. I Need You
03. Blue Morning, Blue Day
04. Woman Oh Woman
05. Cold As Ice
06. The Damage Is Done
07. At War With The World
08. Starrider
09. Double Vision
10. Spellbinder
11. Feels Like The First Time
12. Hot Blooded
13. Headknocker

BAND LINEUP:
Mick Jones - Guitar
Dennis Elliott - Drums
Ian McDonald - Multi-Instrumentalist
Al Greenwood - Keyboards
Ed Gagliardi - Bass
Lou Gramm - Vocals

LIN K:
(1) 1978-12-01 Philadelphia, PA (SB/FM BX)

According to the information with this show, this was one of the last shows with all of the original members in the lineup.  The last time I saw Foreigner two years ago, there was nobody from the original band in the group because Mick Jones had to take a few shows off for some reason.  My mind is drawing a blank right now, but one of the members of Night Ranger filled in and the show was spectacular.  I recorded the audio and video of the show but I was way back in the venue and the camera was reaching its limits in focusing.  I think I did use Adobe Premiere Pro to make a simple DVD of the show with no menus and just chapters.  They were one of the opening bands for Journey and I was very impressed by the band of foreign Foreigner members!

But getting back on track here and talking about this show, this really is an excellent sounding show and the performance from what I have listened to is an excellent one too.

The songs "Blue Morning, Blue Day" and "Woman Oh Woman" were not originally is this FM recording and came from another (FM recording I assume) source and were added to fill in the gaps in the shorter version of the show that aired.  A little research online indicated some thing the two songs are actually from the FM broadcast of a Washington, DC show the band played in March of 1978.  The songs came from the show according to what I have (which is someone's word I don't know).  Supposedly; the tracks just were not in the original FM broadcast that the rest of the show was recorded from.  Tracks 3 and 4, "Blue Morning, Blue Day" and "Woman Oh Woman", are the two in question as mentioned and they have a slightly lesser quality recording sound.  They still sound great and it's no big deal but the rest of the show sounds a couple of notches up in quality.  I'd rather have the two songs, if they are from the show, not sounding as good in the file set to make it complete anyhow.

This reminds me of something I wanted to mention.  And your CD-R media and burner and software will be what makes a difference whether this is a 1 CD or 2 CD show for you.  The time, as listed above under the details area, is right at the 80 minute mark for CD-R's.  There's a 30 second difference and all CD-R's, like computer drives and other storage devices, need a certain amount of space to format the device or disc storing the data.  The 30 seconds may make you need to burn this on two discs or it may not.  It's all up to your equipment you write to disc with and the media you're storing it on.  And it varies from brand to brand.  Some people may want to use their software's overburn feature since it's seconds we're talking about if it has that capability.

What I like in this early version of Foreigner is the guitar and the whole classic rock sound.  Ballads can be great, but I really like the material here that is much more rock and roll sounding in my opinion.  The song I mentioned at the beginning, "I Need You", has a great, long solo and the song just has that 1970's era sound and feel to it.  It really makes me want to find some more 1970's Foreigner recordings of live shows.

I've found a few (four or five) 1977 to 1978 Foreigner SB, FM BX, and similar concerts over the last few days and I'll upload some more eventually.

I hope you enjoy the show...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment