Friday, January 16, 2015

STICKY NOTE: My Ratings (Good-to-Superb or 1 to 10+)

Ratings are so subjective I almost hate passing my along.  I personally base my ratings on my own list by more than just the sound quality.  I take into consideration the performance, sound, age of the recording, etc as I decide how much I like a recording.

Some people just base their rating strictly on sound.  And that's fine too.  It is nice to know how a show sounds and the quality of it.  But I like to add that stuff to my writeup (post) if you read it.

One thing I have noticed over the years is we, as traders and collectors, all seem to hate to call a recording "bad" or "awful" and we try to find the good in it.  But sometimes a recording is flat out "bad", "terrible", or "poor."  That's just a fact.  And if you don't like Led Zeppelin as much as I do you may think something I rated as "great" sounds "poor."  So you see the dilemma in rating recordings now :-)

I choose to rate my shows, based on many factors, as follows:

POOR = 1-3
GOOD = 4-6
GREAT = 7-8
EXCELLENT = 9
SUPERB = 10-10+

I use the word rather than the number too in my rating and it usually is at the beginning of my post.  And I don't over analyze things either.  I go off of how much I enjoy the show and how it sounds as well.  So if you do not agree with my ratings, then don't shoot the messenger (or blogger) if you disagree...

Bootradr

No comments:

Post a Comment