Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jimi Hendrix: 1970-07-30 Maui, HI (Pro Shot DVD_Mike Parker Project)

This is my favorite Jimi Hendrix video.  Had the creators of the Rainbow Bridge documentary and interviews video had the foresight to make something like this, it would have been a stellar release officially.  But they didn't.  This blows the other release away.

I had no information on this video other than what was in my memory and on the back of the artwork.  I somehow, and likely on a crashed hard drive, lost the original text file with the information on this project.  But I found what I was looking for information wise, the majority of the important information from the text file, and it is copied and pasted at the end of this posting.

For the lineage and details on this recording and project by Mike Parker, you can also see the artwork below.  I do know this project was meticulously created by Parker and he spent a very long time putting it together.  Read the bottom of the artwork's back cover for some additional interesting details.

LINEAGE:
Read this post for lineage available!  Basic information is: SB 2nd Gen (audio) with multiple video sources synchronized project by Mike Parker >  me > TLH (to create and verify a new md5 file) > you

SHOW DETAILS:
Artist: Jimi Hendrix
Date: July 30th, 1970
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Venue: Haleakala Crater (aka Haleakala Volcano Center)
Label: Mike Parker
Title: Hendrix At Maui

Total Running Time: 1:21:06

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
Menu: Yes
Chapters: Yes

Source: See bottom of post! (2nd Gen SB & multiple video sources)
Artwork: Yes
DVD's: 1

DVD Size: 3.74 GB

VIDEO ATTRIBUTES:
Format: NTSC

Color/B&W: Color
Type: Pro Shot
Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect: 4:3
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bitrate: 5000 kbps
Codec: MPEG-2

AUDIO ATTRIBUTES:
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Bitrate: 1536 kbps
Codec: LPCM
Channels: 2
Streams: 1

SONGS/CHAPTERS::

01. "Assassin" intro
02. Padi Gap
03. Spanish Castle Magic
04. Lover Man
05. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
06. In From The Storm
07. Message To Love
08. Foxy Lady
09. Hear My Train A Comin'
10. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
11. Fire
12. Purple Haze
13. Dolly Dagger
14. Villanove Junction
15. Ezy Rider
16. Jimi raps 1
17. Jimi raps 2
18. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)

LINKS:
(1) 1970-07-30 Maui, HI (Pro Shot DVD)
(2) 1970-07-30 Maui, HI (Pro Shot DVD)
(3) 1970-07-30 Maui, HI (Pro Shot DVD)

(4) 1970-07-30 Maui, HI (Pro Shot DVD)

There was a first and second show this day in Hawaii.  This was the common practice of the day with bands having an early and late show (how excellent would that be).  I do not know if there is any mixing of the two shows in the video?  I do know there is video with bright sunlight, some more cloudy looking, and some with the sun setting (as the video ends in fact) too.  But there is no nighttime video on the DVD so I am guessing this was the early or first show.

Rather than surmise as I was doing in the above paragraph, I went ahead and hooked up the drive with the Hendrix recordings of both shows and confirmed things.  This is definitely the first show!  Interestingly, the show doesn't end like it does on the DVD.  On the DVD it looks as if there is a reprise of "
Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)."  But in all honesty, the first concert of the day ends with "Ezy Rider" and everything from chapters 16 through 18 are additions to the project.  I'd thought Hendrix ended the show the way the DVD looks like it ends.  That would have been a very cool ending and I'm glad that Mike Parker ended it the way he did.

OK, I found the original information
on T.U.B.E.'s site after a little internet research.  I've not going to re-download the show to get the text file.  Especially since he copied and pasted the important pasts of it on his site like I'm doing here now :-)

TAKEN FROM ORIGINAL TEXT FILE (Copy & Pasted):

"This an amazing document of the Rainbow Bridge Concert, made by Mike Parker, with almost all of the available concert footage plus some great filler footage, all synched to the soundboard audio. A true piece of art!

Sourcing info, to give credit where credit is due:

I made this. It is the 25 minutes of Rainbow Bridge Jimi Hendrix footage, 20 minutes of outtakes, and the Strange Day On Maui footage (about 10 minutes), all re-synced to the songboard audio. The songs are full-length, although the film footage is not. The gaps are filled in with Maui footage, 60`s stuff, surfing footage, and Strange Day On Maui footage.

The audio is the overdubbed-drums source, the only one available, so the drums are out of sync a bit. It's hardly noticeable though. Hope you all enjoy it.

Mike Parker

About this project: Originally all I was going to do was sync the 20 minutes of silent outtake footage (end of Hear My Train>Voodoo Child>beginning of Ezy Ryder). But after that was done, I thought, well, why not continue with the movie footage too? The audio on RB was pretty poor. Then there was the Strange Day On Maui footage to deal with. Univibes magazine had an issue about silent Jimi footage that gave me a good reference guide to what was being played during all that double-image footage, so that was a huge help. Ezy Ryder & Message To Love footage was just too dark or had too much double imaging to be able to really sync it up. There's enough there to get an idea of that's going on though.

I wanted to keep the songs full-length, so began to think about what to use for filling in the gaps. There was some nice footage in RB of the people walking to the concert, some skinny-dippers, volcano footage, and film of Jimi's girlfriend Pat Hartley wandering around Maui. Plus lots of great surfing footage. Love that surfboard-cam shot!

So I used all the RB footage I could, then went looking for footage at a video store. Hawaiian Paradise was a cheesy travelog video, has some nice volcano footage with beautiful sunrises, and that great 1940's Maui footage. Endless Summer has one chapter on Maui, that footage is from 1964. check out that spill where the cameraman gets bonked in the head (& the surfing babes). Easy Rider, well that's all the actual motorcycle riding footage from the movie. The 60's protest/Vietnam footage fit perfectly in the large gap during Hear My Train A'Coming. I also used all the non-Jimi footage from Strange Day On Maui as a tribute to Duff Hendrickson, who filmed the actual footage.

this project was made on an eMac, using Final Cut Express. My very first video project. I think it turned out well. By the way I am a long-time Jimi Hendrix collector, if anone out there has any unreleases/uncirculated film footage, recordings, or photos gathering dust, I would love to hear from you. Doesn't matter if the audio is poor or if the film/photos are grainy, it's all worth checking out.
Any Jimi is good Jimi. Same goes for John Coltrane audio, ect. You can contact me at jimiclones (at) yahoo (dot) com."


Whew!  What should have taken an hour or 90 minutes tops has taken a few hours already!  I should be use to that by now though.  I'm not going to half way do something if I can avoid it and if it takes longer to make it more accurate, helpful, and complete; then I'm happy to do it (and happier to get it done).

So now that we all know what the story is here, and for the most part what we want to know, it's time to upload this gem so you can download and enjoy it too!

UPDATE (2015-02-12:
I'd originally stated this concert was from the first set out of two on this day in 1970.  But it actually is a mix of both sets now that I notice the setlist and songs in them as I prepare the upload of the SB/AUD group matrix.patch project I am uploading.  So I just wanted to make a fast update over here to clarify this!

I hope you enjoy the concert...

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment