Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Led Zeppelin: 1969-11-07 San Francisco, CA (FLAC_AUD 1st Gen_2 CD)

This is an excellent sounding recording of Led Zeppelin's show on this November day in 1969!  This one of the Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones "spotlighted shows" where the taper was obviously in front of Page's stack of amps.  But the bass of JPJ is also clean and clear and in your face too.

One the heavier songs, Plant can barely be heard.  But this is not a distorted recording like some of the ones out there that "spotlight" certain member's performance or playing are.  This is a sharp, excellent sound recorded of this show.  A song, like "Communication Breakdown" that opens the show, almost sounds like an instrumental practice since Plant's voice is so buried in the guitar and bass.  But it again, the sound is clean and very enjoyable.  And when you listen to a song like "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", everything sounds much more normal and Plant can be hear and sounds great because the song isn't as heavy.

John Bonham can also be heard, but even the drums are not as powerful and heard as loudly as the lead guitar and bass are.  It is really awesome hearing Jimmy Page's guitar (even the stuff you might not always hear) and John Paul Jones' heavy bass jamming out from the first song in the show.

LINEAGE:
Master > Maxell XLIIS cassette > DATn > CD-R > me > TLH (to decode as WAV and test for lossiness) > Audacity (to embed metadata/song titles and info into files and re-encode) > FLAC 6 > TLH (to reconfirm project is error free and to create and verify md5 & ffp files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: November 7th, 1969
Location: San Francisco, California
Venue: Winterland Ballroom
Source: AUD (1st Generation)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes
Label: None
Title: LZ 129
Size: 469 MB

SETLIST:
CD 1
101. Communication Breakdown
102. I Can't Quit You Baby
103. Heartbreaker
104. Dazed And Confused
105. White Summer

CD 2
201. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
202. What Is And What Should Never Be
203. Moby Dick
204. How Many More Times

LINK:
(1) 1969-11-07 San Francisco, CA (1st Gen.)


I'm not 100% sure the reason for the unique capture of music in this show is solely based on the taper's location.  He may not have been in front of Page's amps?  It may be the way the sound was mixed at Winterland in the early days (1969) for the show.  Page and JPJ could be coming through one channel the taper was on the side of while Plant and Bonham were being routed to the other channel (or speakers on the venue's side) too?  I really don't know.  All I know is this is an excellent change up from most audience recordings we hear from Led Zeppelin or any band for that matter.

Unfortunately, there are some cuts in "Dazed and Confused" by the taper.  The same goes for "Moby Dick" and "How Many More Times" too.  Some cuts are just short ones but "How Many More Times" fades out at just under 12 minutes.  I'm listening to the show again for the first time in a year or two through the PC as I'm preparing this posting.


From my recollection, I have at least four coipies or versions of this show.  I know I've had "Winter Of Our Content" that I got in a CD-R trade back in the 1990's and I also have a more recent 2nd generation tape transfer done by KRW_Co.  I also have it in a box set as well.  It's in a 6 CD box set TCOLZ (The Chronicles of Led Zeppelin) put out titled "Final Winterland".  And once I get the data restored (or attempt to do it myself) from one of my 3TB drives that recently semi-crashed (I can see and access the data but cannot transfer it), I know I have another 600 GB of shows I haven't sorted yet with another copy or two of this show likely there.  I will check these other copies and if I find one that sounds better, is more complete, or whatever the reason might be that could cause it to be an upgrade; I'll upload it too at a later date.

I hope you enjoy the concert...


Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!

  THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!




No comments:

Post a Comment