Thursday, May 22, 2014

Journey: 1982-05-21 Chicago, IL_AUD_Bootradr Remaster V.3_2 CD)

PREFACE:
I uploaded Version 2 of my remastering two days ago. As I was listening to the CD-R's I burned of the show yesterday, I quickly realized the right channel was louder on the source recording and it needed to be balanced.  I just finished up with balancing the channels and it makes a huge difference in sound.  The last four tracks, where the sound changes on the recording, did not need balancing so they were left alone.  Version 1 of my projects I never uploaded because it didn't sound right to me.  Version 2 sounded right through the PC speakers (and was shared here) but it wasn't.  So this is Version 3 and should be the final rendition I make of the show.

This is a show I've had for many years, lost, got other copies of, and eventually found my copy of it once again.  And with all of the copies, it's one I haven't listened to much because I consider it to be good sounding.  While that may sound strange to you, I classify "good" as a step above "poor".

But yesterday, on the show's 32nd anniversary, I started working on and remastering a lossless copy I got from my friend "Tales" a few months ago.  And the results made for a "great" (one step above "good") sounding show.  In fact, it turned out much better than I'd planned.  And just as a reference, here's my grading scale:

Poor = 1 - 3

Good = 4 - 6
Great = 7 - 8
Excellent = 9 - 10
Superb = 10+

LINEAGE:
Tales > FLAC > me > TLH > WAV > Media Creator 2010 Pro (to remove all tracks...originally tracked horribly...and to EQ & add filters) > CD Wave Editor (to track and remove silent gaps in recording) > Media Creator 2010 Pro (to join tracks where needed)  > Audacity (to amplify without clipping, embed metadata/track titles and info, and encode as FLAC) > FLAC 6 > TLH (to recheck final project was error free & create and verify md5 & ffp files) > Version 2 completed > Audacity (to balance left/right channel audio) > TLH (to create new ffp & md5 files and verify them) > you

NOTE:  I checked for lossiness and SBE's and neither were found.

DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: May 21st, 1982
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Venue: Rosemont Horizon
Source: AUD
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes (thanks goes to "tupchurch" for sending me the artwork!)
Label: One Lone Duck/Rubicon Reproduction (possibly)
Title: Born To Run (possibly)
Size: 546 MB

NOTE:  I'm not sure the recording I got was from this same label/title but I'm using the artwork for this version.

SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. opening Escape Tour music
102. Escape
103. Line Of Fire
104. Lights
105. Still They Ride
106. The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)
107. Lovin' You Is Easy
108. Open Arms
109. Mother, Father
110. Jonathan Cain (piano intro)
111. Who's Crying Now


CD 2:
201. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

202. Where Were You
203. Steve Smith (drum solo)
204. Dead Or Alive
205. Don't Stop Believin'
206. Neal Schon (guitar solo)
207. Stone In Love
208. Keep On Runnin'
209. Neal Schon (intro)
210. Wheel In The Sky
211. crowd (audio changes from this point on)
212. Neal Schon (guitar solo)
213. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
214. Anyway You Want It

LINKS:
(1) 1982-05-21 Chicago Part 1 V.3

(2) 1982-05-21 Chicago Part 2 V.3

Dime Torrent - Link has gone dead/I will upload again eventually here!
NOTE: I created a torrent and posted it on Dime.  If your a Dime member, you'll know what to do.  If not, sign up for a free account and READ THE RULES.  Go to http://www.dimeadozen.org for their home page.  And remember to keep your sharing ratio at 0.25% or higher so as to not get banned.  It's a much faster download almost always!  Now, back to the original blog post.


As I made note of in the setlist, the audio changes in the last four tracks.  I'm not sure what the reason may be for it?  On the first copy of the show I reworked, I amplified (without clipping) the last four tracks as I was wrapping up that project.  But I then went ahead and did audio amplification on each track that needed it using Audacity and made another copy which is this one I'm uploading.  I can't say for sure if the original source I got had any clipping to begin with, but as I was EQ'ing the show, I brought down the master audio levels 2 db and then did the work I did from that point.  I was attempting to clean up tape hiss as well as maintain the high end of the audio and bring out the vocals and instruments better.  And while I'm not claiming this is the definitive copy of this show, it sounds a lot better than what I started with.

If you've ever had one of the copies of this show circulating over the decades, you know it never had excellent sound to begin with.  But I'm pleased with how this job turned out.  I'm always looking for a known generation or better remastering job of any show I have collected.  So if you have an upgrade, please let me know or post it.  But I'm sure this copy should sound better than any of the recordings of this show I've ever heard have.  And the show is complete too!

I hope you enjoy the concert...


Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment