Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pink Floyd: 1977-04-30 Houston, TX (FLAC_AUD_2 CD)

This is a very good audience recording of Pink Floyd at a venue I'd never heard of (until recent years) in Houston.  I was just a kid, but I had been living in Houston for about 8 months when this concert took place.  I vaguely remember commercials on the radio for this show too.  I recall Pink Floyd and Queen radio commercials seemed to be on every 5 minutes for concerts they had in 1977.

This show is one of those good recordings where, even though you can hear the occasional conversations going on (by the friends taping it I think), they still got a good recording.  There are some shows where this type of chatter can ruin the recording.  But in this case, it adds to the ambiance of the show and makes you feel like you were there.  The recording has its flaws, but overall, it is a great snapshot in time of what it was like being there in 1977.  The music has a good, full range of sound to it and no distortion to interfere from what I've listened to.  I got this show within the last two years, but for some reason, and until I finish this post, I've never burned it to CD yet.  I can fix that mistake as soon as I'm done here!

I wish I'd remembered to upload this show as planned  on Tuesday.  That would've made it 36 years ago that day.  So instead, it was 36 years, 5 days ago today :-)

DETAILS:
Artist: Pink Floyd
Date: April 30th, 1977
Location: Houston, Texas
Venue: Jeppesen Stadium (University of Houston)
Source: AUD
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes (lots of artwork but there doesn't seem to be any back art)
Label: unsure
Title: Pink Floyd - Animals
Size: 683 MB
Length: 1 hour, 14 minutes, 48 seconds

SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. Sheep
102. Pigs On The Wing (Pt. 1)
103. Dogs
104. Pigs On The Wing (Pt. 2)
105. Pigs (Three Different Ones)

CD 2:
201. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pt. 1 - 5)
202. Welcome To The Machine
203. Have A Cigar
204. Wish You Were Here
205. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pt. 6 - 9)
206. Money
207. Us And Them

LINKS:
(1) 1977-04-30 Houston, TX (AUD)
(2) 1977-04-30 Houston, TX (AUD)
(3) 1977-04-30 Houston, TX (AUD)
(4) 1977-04-30 Houston, TX (AUD)

I saw Pink Floyd for the first time a decade later (1987) in Houston.  It was a great, extravagant show but was also after Roger Waters had split from the band.  My personal favorite era of Pink Floyd was their 1975 and 1977 touring years.  And some superb recordings have surfaced through the years of many of these shows.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this show from an era of music that would be lost if it weren't for recordings like this one documenting it and keeping it alive today...

Bootradr


No comments:

Post a Comment