Sunday, August 12, 2012

Led Zeppelin: 1969-04-24 San Francisco, CA (FLAC_AUD_1 CD)

This has to be my favorite (at least one of) Led Zeppelin 1969 show.  This show has circulated on many labels through the years, but this silver CD House of Elrond "Definitive Remastered Edition" copy is definitely the best sounding source in my opinion.  I've heard many other great versions, but they seem to lack some of the low end audio sounds this one has.  The full, clean, "being there" audio is the greatest I've heard so far.

I got this silver CD copy around 1998-2000.  The record store had CD players in it, and as soon as I checked it out, well; I checked out with it :-)

DETAILS:
Band: Led Zeppelin
Location: San Francisco, California
Venue: Fillmore West
Date: April 24th, 1969
Label: House of Elrond
Title: Fillmore 69 ("Definitive Remastered Edition" on back art and "oh so fine 69" on silver CD)
CDs: 1
Type: AUD (there have been reports this was a SB, but I believe it's just an excellent AUD recording with reportedly two microphones on stage)
Artwork: Yes (scanned outer & inner cardboard case artwork and silver CD too)

Size: 468 MB
Quality: A++

SETLIST: (keeping same names as on artwork and embedded on silver CD)

01. As Long As I Have You
02. You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover
03. Killing Floor
04. White Summer
05. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
06. Pat's Delight
Bonus Track:
07. How Many More Times (medley) (from 1969-01-26 Boston, MA show)

LINEAGE:
House of Elrond silver CD > Creator 2010 Pro to convert to FLAC > Trader's Little Helper to create and verify checksum & torrent files > you

LINK:
1969-04-24 San Francisco (House of Elrond)

Dime Torrent - http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=416170
NOTE: I created a torrent and posted it on Dime.  If your a Dime member, you'll know what to do.  If not, sign up for a free account and READ THE RULES.  Go to http://www.dimeadozen.org for their home page.  And remember to keep your sharing ratio at 0.25% or higher so as to not get banned.  It's a much faster download almost always!  Now, back to the original blog post.

Here are the Dime Contrast Clauses I located for anyone interested in seeing/downloading other versions of this show:

(1)  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=389817 (Dancing Avocado Supreme is a fan released, 2 CD version with one CD being another remastered copy and the second CD being the original master reel > PCM > DAT unedited copy.  It sounds great but is missing the lower, more bass sounds compared to this Elrond upload I believe)
(2) http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=389130 (is a KRW_Co master > DAT clone copy.  It too sounds great and compares itself to this House of Elrond version I'm uploading.  It states there is known lineage for the KRW_Co version)

Since each listener has their own subjective ratings, likes and dislikes, etc; it is hard to sometimes distinguish and discuss what a person may or may not like.  But I can definitely say that what I really like about this Elrond version is the full sound, room filling low end (the highs are great too), and overall rich sound this CD has on it.

In older versions of this show that I have, I use to have to severely turn down or even mute the part of the show where John Paul Jones' bass amp or cord starts messing up.  But in this copy, you can keep on listening as Plant and Page carry on with their ad lib "You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover" (still part of "As Long As I Have You" of course).  The distortion from earlier copies is gone!  This copy makes me feel like I'm right there at the show.

I'm definitely not demeaning any other versions of this show, and some out there may not agree with my assessment of this recording being the best.  But I definitely feel that it is.  And no matter which version of this show you have or get, they are all excellent!

If you grab (or have) this copy and have made comparisons on it with other recordings of the show, please let me know your opinion.  I'm always interested in what others think of the variations of sources, sounds, etc in music.  And it might help someone decide whether to download this version or one of the other versions in the contrast clause.

Any way you look at it, if you don't have a copy of 1969-04-24, don't wait another day.  You're missing out on an excellent (possibly Peter Grant approved :-)) show from a superb era of Led Zeppelin's history.

Enjoy the show...

Bootradr




No comments:

Post a Comment