Monday, August 24, 2015

The Eagles: 1994-08-24 East Rutherford, MJ (FLAC_SB_3 CD)

Today is the 21st anniversary of this superb sounding recording and show from The Eagles as they came back from disbanding and breaking up for their Hell Freezes Over tour.  This recording is a little confusing because it has superb stereo separation, sound, and other audio fidelity features.  But at the same time you can barely hear individual hand clapping from the audience in between songs as well as something else I later note in this post making if have the audience recording appearance too.  I'm calling it a soundboard but it could just be an incredibly awesome audience recording possibly.

It's usually very easy to tell an audience recording apart from a soundboard recording.  Even superb audience recordings have telltale signs that can be heard.  But this one, and I'm listening to it right now, has still not given me a positive answer one way or another.

LINEAGE:
Red Robin Records silver CD's > EAC (secure mode) > WAV > TLH > FLAC 5 > aligned on sector boundaries > FLAC >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: The Eagles
Date: August 24th, 1994
Location: East Rutherford, New Jersey
Venue: Giant's Stadium

Title: Get Freeze It

Label: Red Robin Records
Source: SB (possible AUD)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 3
Artwork: Yes
Size: 978 MB
Length: 164:09:25

SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. Hotel California
102. Victim Of Love
103. New Kid In Town
104. Wasted Time
105. Pretty Maids All In A Row
106. The Girl From Yesterday
107. I Can't Tell You Why
108. New York Minute
109. Ordinary Average Guy
110. Lyin' Eyes ~ One Of These Nights

CD 2:
201. Tequila Sunrise
202. Help Me Thru The Night
203. Love Will Keep Us Alive
204. Heart Of The Matter
205. You Belong To The City
206. Boys Of Summer
207. Funk #49
208. Dirty Laundry
209. Smugglers Blues
210. Life's Been Good
211. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
212. Heartache Tonight
213. Life In The Fast Lane

CD 3:
301. Get Over It
302. Rocky Mountain Way
303. Already Gone
304. Desperado
305. Take It Easy


LINK:
(1) 1994-08-24 East Rutherford, NJ (SB)

I've had this show from a 3 CD-R trade since the late 1990's.  However; my copy was not as good as this recording's audio is and was probably from a tape transfer (remember that we didn't have CD burners in 1994 and people still recorded with tape recorders) that was a number of generations old.  This is from a tape source even though the hiss is virtually non-existent in the recording.

As I was looking for a show that occurred on this date on my drives last night, I came across an mp3 copy I had not deleted (yet) of this show.  And as I started listening to it just to check the sound quality out I knew I had to find this show in a better lossless format than the CD-R copy I already had.  So I got on Dime and found this copy with no seeders.  I posted a message asking for seeders and within 5 minutes I had two.  Thanks to those seeders and to "hofzinser" for making this post back in January of this year on Dime.

I guess this recording could be a matrix using a soundboard and audience source recording but I doubt it.  Not only because of the lack of audience noise during the show but because somebody would have mentioned this in their lineage along the way.  Plus, I've never seen an audience recording of the show circulating.  I personally don't care which it is because it sounds so great.  The nix really is perfect and that is another indicator it is likely a soundboard source recording.  I'm really impressed with the stereo separation too and that is another reason I believe it is a soundboard.  But whatever the case is, it is a superb recording and source.

There is some coughing and microphone bumping sound at the end of "Help Me Through The Night" on CD 2 which is very audience sounding to me.  The artwork states it is a soundboard recording but we all know better than to trust artwork for the truth.  There are some slight cuts, as if a short amount of the recording was removed in the audience parts in the show also.

By the way, in case anyone may be wondering why I keep bringing up the topic of this show being an audience recording vs. a soundboard recording is so much (other than my own curiosity), it is because the debate has been discussed a lot over the years.  People have wondered if this show was an audience or soundboard recording for some time and this is not something new I am just bringing up now.

The waveform had one tiny spike in one specific area that showed the only clipping I saw.  Needless to say, there is no clipping in this show in a practical sense.  The waveform drops down a little in some songs and at first I was wondering if there was a two source mix until I listened to the music.  It was just the quieter songs which are the acoustic ones where the waveform lowered and that is 100% expected and normal.

I'm about to start listening CD 3 and I have no complaints at all or anything bad to say about the recording.  I guess one thing would make it a slightly better sounding recording.  A different EQ job could make it just a tiny bit more sharp in the beginning of the show and more beefy (low frequencies) sounding later on.  Don't get me wrong though.  It needs nothing done to it because it already sounds superb.  But if anyone with the knowledge to do it right wanted to improve upon the sound, they could easily do so too.  The mix sounds excellent but it could sound even better.  And there are some small but definite micro-cuts that could be smoothed out.  But overall, this is already a superb sounding recording and show.

I wish I had caught this prior to embedding the audio files, but I did not.  The last two tracks on CD 1, "Lyin' Eyes" and "One of These Nights", are not split.  The label, Red Robin, put them together as one track.  It's no big deal unless you want to jump to the track "One of These Nights" (one of my favorite The Eagles songs).  I remember having "One of These Night's" on a 4 rpm as a kid living in New Orleans.  But that is a completely different topic altogether.  But it is a memory and likely a reason I like that song a lot.

If you are a fan of The Eagles you won't regret getting this show and recording at all!

I hope you enjoy the show...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bootradr. Excellent performance and great sounding show. Also enjoy reading your analysis of the recording and your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I enjoy doing the research and making the uploads myself and appreciate the comments...

    Bootradr

    ReplyDelete