Sunday, July 26, 2015

Led Zeppelin: 1973-05-28 San Diego, CA (FLAC_SB_2 CD)

Well, it's been a long time since I've made a post.  You thought I was going to say rock and rolled didn't you.  Either way, you'd just about be right.  Things have slowed down enough to finally start posting some shows again thankfully.  And I'm going to start off with this Led Zeppelin show from 1973 today.

This soundboard is reportedly a mix of different label's releases put out.  I'm not sure personally if this is true or not.  I've never listened to it.  But I am right now as I prepare this post, and it is sounding excellent so far.

LINEAGE:
Silver CD's > EAC rip >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: May 28th, 1973
Location: San Diego, California
Venue: Sports Arena

Title: Whole Lotta Live

Label: None
Source: SB
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: No
Size: 675 MB
Length: 123:41:59

SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. Rock And Roll
102. Celebration Day
103. Black Dog
104.
Over The Hills And Far Away
105. Misty Mountain Hop
106. Since I've Been Loving You
107. No Quarter
108. The Song Remains The Same
109. The Rain Song
110. Dazed And Confused (cut drastically)


CD 2:
201. Moby Dick
202. Stairway To Heaven
203. Heartbreaker
204. Whole Lotta Love
205. The Ocean


LINK:
(1) 1973-05-28 San Diego, CA (SB)


Just typing the setlist indicates something doesn't look right in the order it is in.  "No Quarter" before "The Song Remains The Same" and "The Rain Song" doesn't seem right nor does "Heartbreaker" before "Whole Lotta Love" either.  But looking at other setlists, it is correct.

A portion of this show is reportedly taken from the EVSD release Three Days Before which is the first copy of this show I ever got way back in the 2000 time frame.  Three Days Before is suppose to represent three days before John Bonham's birthday which is May 31st.

I have never compared the EVSD recording against this recordings other than briefly and they both sound excellent.  I'm up to "Since I've Been Loving You" right now and it sounds like an excellent, smooth flowing show.  I'm a little curious about getting to the incomplete (approximately 2 1/2 minutes long) "Dazed and Confused" because I do not see it on any other 1973-05-28 recordings I have or on any artwork for other shows either.  And looking at the timeline on the official Led Zeppelin website, it shows the same setlist as above too.

The show seems complete and uncut up through "No Quarter", where after the music starts, the song jumps ahead to John Paul Jones' keyboard solo recently started and continues on.  I'd guess about 5 minutes of the beginning is missing.  Put Jimmy Page sounds superb in his guitar solo in this show!  And I like how his guitar is up front in the sound so far too in the show.  I've included the Trader's Little Helper audio file details as I always do nowadays, and taking a look right now, it shows "No Quarter" is 9:09 in length and that indicates the portion cut after the song starts is probably around what I "guesstimated" I'd say.

The official Led Zeppelin website says this was a sold out show with a seating capacity of 16,000 people at the Sports Arena in San Diego on this night.  In fact, the more I looked I noticed the site states every show on the 1973 tour was a sold out show. I never knew that.   This was one of the best Led Zeppelin tours ever no doubt!

This is a really excellent sounding show, the mix is great, there is a little tape his but nothing too bad, and this is a very enjoyable listening experience.  It's probably my first time to listen to the show in at least a decade or more and I've had this specific, no label recording for the last 5+ years too.

I'm up to "Dazed and Confused" now and everything other than the cut in "No Quarter"  and the fact that "Dazed and Confused" only contains the last few seconds of the song and then Robert Plant talking about something going wrong with a guitar piece as he asks others to bear with them a moment sounds excellent.  The recording has really been perfect and sounds equal to me.  If this is a mix of various sources, I haven't seen any indication yet.

Rather than listen to the whole show and report every detail, I'm going ahead and closing out now so I can upload the concert.  There is definitely enough excellence in this show to merit getting it if you don't have it.  And that includes even if the audio changes for the worse.  CD 1 has been great and here's hoping CD 2 keeps a rollin' the same way!


I hope you enjoy the show...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment