Friday, February 20, 2015

Led Zeppelin: 1972-02-20 Melbourne, Australia (FLAC_AUD Source 1 & 2 Mix_2 CD)

This is a great recording of the Led Zeppelin concert 43 years ago today in Melbourne, Australia.  This is the TDOLZ label recording and it uses a mix of the source 1 and source 2 recordings.

I thought I had done an EAC rip on my 2 CD copy of Melbourne Masters a year or two ago, and I was going to upload that one on its 43rd birthday.  But it seems I never did the EAC rip on it and I was too busy and gone most of today so I just randomly chose this TDOLZ copy.  But the more I listen to it, it is very, very enjoyable and really more of an excellent recording instead of just a great recording (in my opinion...see my ratings in "STICKY NOTES").

The crowd noise is very low, when not cut out in between songs, in this recording.  I'm not sure if the crowds were just quiet or if the taper had a great location or directional microphone(s)?  Then again, like Robert Plant told the crowd in the previous day's show in Perth as well as this show, "Shut up!"  He appears to be hearing crowd noise during the acoustic songs the taper's microphone did not pick up.  I'd say the taper was pretty close to the stage too with the sound in this recording.  And that would explain why we don't hear the noise or crowd Plant is telling to "Shut up" too I guess?  This really is a clean sounding recording and especially for a 1972 audience recording.

LINEAGE:
TDOLZ silver CD's > EAC > WAV > TLH > FLAC 8 >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: February 20th, 1972
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Venue: Kooyong Stadium

Title: Acoustically

Label: TDOLZ
Source: AUD (Source 1 & 2 Mix)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes
Size: 602 MB
Length: 92:31:34

SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. Immigrant Song
102. Heartbreaker
103. Black Dog
104. Since I've Been Loving You
105. Stairway To Heaven
106. Going To California
107. That's The Way
108. Tangerine
109. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

CD 2:
201. Dazed And Confused
202. Rock And Roll
203. Whole Lotta Love


LINK:
(1) 1972-02-20 Melbourne, Australia (AUD 2 Source Mix/TDOLZ)


I didn't realize this until I was getting ready to upload this show, but this is another date I never have added to my site yet.  And so was yesterdays' Perth show as well as a lot of others lately.

I personally prefer the Melbourne Masters copy myself, but this show sounds really enjoyable and very easy to listen too.  I'll do an EAC rip of the Melbourne Masters CD's or add the DVD-A of it sometime soon enough I'm sure.  The EVSD disc recent release of Thunder Down Under, which came with version A and version B CD sets for all of the Australian and New Zealand shows from this 1972, had too much of a mix I didn't like as much.  It wasn't bad, but it sounded a little too muddy to me.  This copy of the TDOLZ upload here I almost didn't go with because I thought it had too much of a high, tinny mix at first.  But it still seemed to sound better as I did a short sample of the copies (a few others too) of this show in my rush to get it uploaded on its 43rd birthday.

This isn't the best copy I've already said (in my opinion), but I also have already said it is getting better the more I listen to it.  I'm up to "Dazed and Confused" (Page does some superb work in this song that is very unique and seldom done in this same solo manner) .  As those who have been listening to live recordings for years all know, the more you listen to a show the better it it starts sounding as your ears adjust to the mix and overall sound.

The one problem with the Australian tapers is they seem to have a tendency to cut the tape recorder off in between songs and that causes them to sometimes miss the first second or two of a song.  Maybe they didn't get a lot of practice like the tapers in Japan, Europe, and America did back in these days?  Maybe there was a tape shortage?  I don't know.  But it is unfortunate that they didn't just bring enough tapes and leave the recorders rolling.  Some tapers in some shows did of course.  But starting off on this one and only Led Zeppelin tour that ever happened in Australia (and New Zealand too), the first show has never had a tape surface and the next two shows have the tapers cutting the recorders off in between songs and causing incomplete recordings.  But at least we have an audible record and documentation of the shows, and they really sound great for the most part too, so how can we complain?

Thanks goes out to "fishey" for the sharing of this EAC rip of the TDOLZ silvers!

I hope you enjoy this show..

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment