Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Grin: 1972-12-01 Washington, DC (FLAC_SB_1 CD)

Here is a concert from a band most people have never heard of I'd bet.  Grin, a really great rock 'n' roll band with a short three to four year lifespan, is not known by many people.  I've never heard  a single song by them on the radio and I'm not sure why they were such unknowns.  My first time I heard of them was in the late 1990's when my friend was jamming on a CD that really sounded great.  I asked him who the band we were listening to was, and with a smile he said "Grin" :-)

I've only got maybe three or four Grin shows.  And the band never released any live material either.  The band's guitarist, another person I've heard of but have little knowledge of, was Nils Lofgren.  He had gained some recognition as a guitarist at the time when Grin was formed.  Lofgren formed Grin in 1968 and by 1974 the band's days were over with.  According to Wikipedia, the band made four critically acclaimed LP's but just never made it big in the long run and they were let go by their record label in 1974.

LINEAGE:
Coloseum silver CD > Soundforge audio extract > TLH ( for WAV decoding and to check for SBE's) > FLAC Frontend (to encode as FLAC)
> me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Grin
Date: December 1st, 1972
Location: Washington, DC
Venue:
George Washington University - Lisner Auditorium
Title: This One's A Rocker

Label: Coloseum (an off-shoot of Scorpio)
Source: SB
Format: FLAC
CD's: 1
Artwork: Yes
Size: 388 MB
Length: 71:59:25

SETLIST:

01. Had Too Much
02. Ain't Love Nice
03. Love Or Else
04. Please Don't Be Long
05. Moontears
06. Love Again
07. Heart On Fire
08. Slippery Fingers
09. Sad Letter
10. Heavy Chevy
11. Like Rain
12. End Unkind
13. See What Love Can Do


LINK:
(1) 1972-12-01 Washington, DC (SB)


Grin was really a District of Columbia area band to begin with.  I've heard one show I will locate and upload soon that is a spectacular show and the best I've heard from Grin.  Like I said, I only have few shows because there probably aren't too many that exist

I can understand why the band never really made it huge too.  While they're good and talented musicians, they didn't always stand out as anything outstanding.  They seem to be enjoyable to listen to but the music might grow a little old after a whiile of listening to it.  This concert is a great example.  Download it, check it out, and I bet some somgs you'll like while others you will not care for too much.  And when I upload the show I called spectacular, get that one and I bet your opinion will drastically change.  The band may not have been able to consitently keep the high energy shows going eag concert?,  But I really don't know if that was the trouble or not?

Grin had a variety of musical styles they seemed to play.  Some muscic was heavier, some was slower, some was country sounding, and some even had a Creedence Clearwater Revival type of sound to it.  Some songs were funny too.  I like the mixure of songs and especially some of Nil's guitar jamming in a variety of the songs

The waveform looks great for this recording and there is no clipping.  In the latter part of the show, close to the ending tracks, there are a few pops in the audio.  It is not from audio clipping, volume, or technical reasons like that.  It is likely just an audio issue on the tpae this recording was sourced from. and it is not a bad problem either.  These are not loud or annoying pops either and are short lived.

I hope you enjoy the show...

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment