Thursday, May 30, 2013

Journey: 1978-07-01 Dallas, TX (FLAC_SB_1 CD)

SPECIAL NOTE (2013-09-15): Gypsy Eye, a boot label I use to respect for lossless quality audio, has taken this show I've worked on and they're selling it on Japanese websites and elsewhere.  This has been confirmed as a copy with an mpeg audio stream (aka mp3).  I could care less about any credit for the work, but I do despise it being passed along by Gypsy Eye as a lossless version they're selling now.  Don't buy this exact same show and version you're getting for free here because it is still not known to be available in a lossless format!  The lossless source is in Bill Graham's vault.

This Journey concert I'm uploading, one I just recently mentioned in my Aerosmith Texxas Jam 1978 upload saying "I hope it surfaces someday soon", has surfaced!  This show is still not circulating anywhere and never has as far as I know.  I think it probably just recently surfaced but I'm not sure?  This is an excellent soundboard of Journey's Texxas Jam 1978 concert in Dallas.  Now, I just need to wish that the June 12th, 1982 Houston Astrodome Journey Texxas Jam show will surface!  And I do!

This is a great recording that I made even better.  Unfortunately, the sound mix (presumably from the soundboard) was off during all of the first song and it gets corrected (or better) during the second song.  But it gets even better when the third song starts.  Whoever was mixing the sound at the show did a good job, but they also change the sound a few times during the show.  It still sounds great, but if it already sounded great, then leave it alone.  I did very little in EQ'ing the show.  But I did a slight EQ'ing and I used some cleaning filters/settings to sharpen the sound as well as remove most of the tape hiss.

The source for this audio is an unaltered Wolfgang's Vault (aka the late Bill Graham's masters) recording.  As quoted on Wolfgang's Vault regarding this recording, "(they want to be) providing you with a pure and uncut representation of what was captured during the performance".  My clean up is an improvement and that's why I'm uploading it.  But if anyone want's the raw, 100% unaltered version, just leave a comment and let me know.  Personally, I prefer to get it unaltered because I can then do what I want to do with the recording.  But I also like a better sounding recording, and I know that many people who may download this show mmight not have the software and/or knowledge to clean the recording up.  So, I'm uploading my cleaned version.  Like I said already, I can post the unaltered version too.

LINEAGE:
Wolfgang's Vault > captured via PC soundcard and saved as 44.1 kHz/16 bit WAV file > Media Creator 2010 Pro (for hiss removal, EQ'ing, track splitting & naming, and converting to FLAC) > TLH (for fixing SBE's,  creating ffp & md5 files, and then verifying) > you

NOTE: I do not know the source's audio specifications, or Wolfgang's Vault bandwidth (i.e. bitrate, sample rate, etc).  But since I do not know, I took the 44.1 kHz/16 bit (CD quality standard) file I captured in my digital copy of the streaming show and left it in that format when I converted it over to FLAC.  I've been told Wolfgang's Vault shows are the highest bitrate (320 kbps) mp3's and no longer FLAC, but I don't know for sure.  Even if this is a glorified mp3 (and I don't know if it is or isn't) that was streaming, it sounds great.  This is just a heads up for those like me that want to maintain a source files' integrity.  I just wish I knew the source file's original specifications.

DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: July 1st, 1978
Location: Dallas, Texas
Venue: Cotton Bowl
Event: Texxas Jam 1978/Texas World Music Festival
Source: SB
Format: FLAC
CD's: 1
Artwork: No (I put the various web art below in a folder)
Label: Bootradr Remaster
Title: Hot Texxas Jam 1978
Size: 295 MB

SETLIST:
01. La Do Da
02. Next
03. Feeling That Way
04. Anytime
05. On A Saturday Night
06. Winds Of March
07. She Makes Me (Feel Alright)
08. Wheel In The Sky
09. Lights (fades out/incomplete)

FileFactory Links:
Part 1 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/5be36doipa5r/
Part 2 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/1w1rjv8b54bv/n/

A super big THANK YOU goes to "tupchurch", a great friend and Journey fan too, who alerted me to this newly found Journey 1978 Texxas Jam recording.  I have never seen this show anywhere but I knew it had to exist.

If you lived in Texas during the late 1970's - late 1980's (1978 - 1988 actually), then chances are you remember hearing commercials for the "Texxas Jam" concert event each year.  Each year was up to a three day event with multiple, "hot on the charts" bands of the time performing their concerts.

And speaking of "hot", this was a burning hot Texas July day in 1978 when Journey played.  And the Cotton Bowl is an outdoor football stadium.  From the beginning of the recording, you can hear how (miserably) hot it must have been from the comments about the heat throughout the whole show.  The Cotton Bowl had the huge, firefighter hoses that they used to spray water out across the crowds just like they did when I saw the last Texxas Jam (being called Monsters of Rock too) in 1988 at Rice Stadium.  It was a way to help keep people in the crowd from overheating too much.  Texas summers are not nice days to be outdoors.  And packed together with 80,000 other people like at this 1978 Texxas Jam, you don't want to be outside at all  (unless you're watching Journey of course).

Wow, I just found something online that (1) backs up what I just said above and (2) excites me a lot.  A documentary of the 1978 Texxas Jam is reportedly coming out in Summer 2013!!!  See the video trailer I just added below :-)  Oh boy, there are a lot of cool Texxas Jam 1978 - 1988 items I'm finding.  I'm only adding  a few to this upload and they are the same images as I'll add below (no video added).

I hope you enjoy this historic rock and roll show from the very first Texxas Jam (and they did spell it "Texxas" too)...

Bootradr


And here's a local news station's, WFAA TV, news report


And a few images!





2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I came across your blog post about Journey/ Texxas Jam. Do you happen to know where I could get a 1978 original Texxas Jam festival poster? I'm looking for a collector. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jami! Man, I wish I did know where to get one. I'd have one myself. But unfortunately I don't. I know there is a Facebook group called "I Survived A Texxas Jam" that has things like the posters at times. But it is usually more likely you'd see someone showing theirs than selling them too. But I've sen them before I know.

    Let me know if you find one and I'll do the same here if I ever locate any of the posters. Good luck...

    Bootradr

    ReplyDelete