Saturday, July 28, 2012

Feist: 2005-12-16 Paris, France "Trabendo Session" + Extras (DVD_Pro Shot)

Here is my favorite Feist concert most likely.  This is the first DVD I found after recording HDTV programs and appearances of Feist that I'd seen.  After discovering her, I became interested in finding more.  My initial, first copy of this show was a lossy set of .avi video files I found on a torrent site.  Thankfully, they were not compressed too much and the recording was still excellent.

The credit for this copy goes to my Hamburg, Germany friend Dierk!  He got this DVD to me in lossless quality and it has extra Feist performances after the show.  Thanks Dierk!

DVD PROGRAMMING INFO:
Artist: Feist
Venue: Trabendo Theatre
Location: Paris, France
Date: December 16th, 2005 (also reported as 2005-12-14..so I'm going with this artworks date)
Extras: (1) Conan O'Brien Show 2006-01-31 (Feist with Broken Social Scene), (2) Later...With Jools Holland 2008-02-05 (3) 50th Grammy Awards 2008-02-10, and (4) Good Morning America Summer Concert Series 2008-07-25

DETAILS:
Menu: Yes
Chapters: Yes
Source: HDTV broadcasts
Artwork: Yes (in the "EXTRAS" folder on the DVD are 2 jpeg and 1 pdf files)
Size: 3.89 GB

DVD VIDEO ATTRIBUTES:
Format: NTSC
Frame Rate: 30 fps
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen/4:3 Standard (originally 1:1)
Width/Height: 720 x 480
Bit Rate: 8000 kbps
Video Codec: MPEG-2
Letterbox: Yes (use TV or DVD player's "zoom" feature to fill screen.  See instructions in bold, light blue text below)

DVD AUDIO ATTRIBUTES:
Audio Codec AC3 (5.1 Dolby Digital Surround)
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Bit Rate 448 kbps
Streams: 1
Channels: 6

LINEAGE:
HDTV broadcasts > DVD-R > TMPGenc X-Press > Sony Vegas > Sony DVD Architect >  converted from PAL to NTSC DVD standard

SETLIST/PROGRAMMING:
Program 1: Trabendo Session: Feist
01. Trabendo Session opening
02. "When I Was A Young Girl"
03. "Secret Heart"
04. "Gatekeeper"
05. "Somewhere Down The Road"
06. "One Evening"
07. "The Buildup"
08. "Inside And Out"
09. "Now At Last"
10. "1234"
11. "Mushaboom"
12. "Sealion" (aka "Sealion Woman")
13. "Let It Die"
14. "Major Label Debut"

DVD EXTRA PROGRAMS:
Program 2: Conan O'Brien Show (2006-01-31)
01. "7/4 (Shoreline)" (Broken Social Scene w/ Feist)

Program 3: Later...With Jools Holland, BBC Studios, London, England (2008-02-05)
01. "1234"
02. "My Moon, My Man"
NOTE: My satellite, standard definition broadcast recording of this show includes "Sealion".  See my "Feist: Compilations DVD 1 (2005-2008)" posting for this DVD.

Program 4: 50th Grammy Awards (2008-02-10)
01. "1234"

Program 5: Good Morning America Summer Concert Series, Bryant Park, New York, NY (2008-07-25)
01. GMA opening talk
02. "Sealion"
03. GMA on stage interview with Feist
04. "I Feel It All"
05. "1234"

FileFactory Links:
Part 1 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/28znrkxyjbb3/
Part 2 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/2qcysmx86e7t/
Part 3 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/7kl7vaxnbb3j/
Part 4 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/62rxtaf0zz4f/
Part 5 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/61u1jsoe2k79/
Part 6 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/zsiwri3hjaj/
Part 7 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/50ezzdiw5n47/
Part 8 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/5i2eb60rwjfh/

Here's a track from the video.  I hate crunching audio and video down to miniscule sizes :-)


Here's one more sample video from the show.  The song is titled "Somehwere Down The Road"


This is an excellent DVD.  The sound quality on "Trabendo Session" is superb.



I still think there are a lot of people out there who have not really heard Feist's music.  Everyone with a TV has seen the iPhone commercial, with her song "1234", but she is so much better than that.  That song is what really launched her into being famous.  She'd definitely already made a name for herself.  But the commercial got her world recognition.

You can tell Feist is a singer, guitar player, and all around mujsician who knows what she's doing.  In the past, I've compared her style to a Steve Perry (Journey) and Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) style of singer.  This may sound a little strange to many people since the music doesn't exactly sound like Journey or Led Zeppelin.  But both Perry and Plant had a style of singing that nobody else can reproduce.  All three singers are unique in that they can all flow (verbally singing) with the music and ad lib, or change up, a song flawlessly.  Others can do good jobs trying to recreate those same vocal and musical talents.  But they can't do it with the same, flawless, smooth flowing, and raw styles these artist have.  I really believe it's a timing talent to know how and when do do this.  Feist is one of these types of singers.  And she's got a voice like no other and it is the icing on the cake.

One other thing I like about Feist's music is it changes every show.  She doesn't play the same songs the same, monotonous way.  Whether it is lyrics, guitar solos, or whatever, she always changes each song up a little in each show.  And I like that!

One last thing I wanted to touch on was the aspect ratio of this DVD. My earlier versions of this show, the .avi files, and other sources I've run across all have a 1:1 aspect ratio picture (not commonly used).  The software I've used in the past shows the source files to be at a 1:1 aspect ratio.  When watching the DVD, use your TV's "zoom" feature.  And if your DVD or Blu-Ray player has the ability to change from (terminology changes depending upon player...I'm just using my Blu_Ray player's terminology) "wide" (16:9 aspect ratio), "original" (can be 16:9, 4:3, or any other aspect ratio), or "stretch" settings; pick "original".  I recommend changing the DVD or Blu-Ray player's setting (if you even need to) first and then change the HDTV's setting.  That way you won't zoom in on the TV screen first and chop out any picture or the DVD or Blu-Ray unit's menu or text to change the player's setting.  It's very easy and can done on probably every HDTV and DVD and/or Blu-Ray player out there today.  And the buttons are on your remote control too.  If you don't do this, the DVD will looked stretched (in most cases) and will have black bars at the bottom and/or side and will not fill the screen.  I don't understand what the 1:1 aspect ratio is really used for well enough, but it's an easy thing to change on your equipment and then change back when you're done watching the DVD.

Anyhow, download this DVD yourself and "see it all".  Once you start getting familiar with her music, and maybe before then, I can almost guarantee you will then "feel it all".

Enjoy the show and extras...

Bootradr

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I hope you are doing well, I am wondering if you still have copy of this? I really liked the concert and hope I could keep a copy of it. Please let me know. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete